Attestation of a document other than the power of attorney:
All documents (such as birth, death, marriage, divorce certificates and educational degrees etc.) issued by the US entities needing attestation of the Embassy have to be first notarized by the Authentication Office of the US Department of State.
All documents (such as birth, death, marriage, divorce certificates and educational degrees etc.) issued by the departments of the Government of Pakistan needing attestation of the Embassy have to be first notarized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Islamabad or its four camp offices in the provincial capitals.
Please also contact your relevant consulate for shipping and handling details.
Attestation of Educational Documents
It may please be noted that Higher Education Commission in Islamabad is responsible for the attestation of educational degrees/transcripts by the chartered universities of Pakistan. The details of attestation/equivalence procedure are available at HEC website www.hec.gov.pk
Attestation of a Power of Attorney
Procedure of Attestation of Power of Attorney/Affidavits:
Embassy of Pakistan no longer accepts application for attestation of the Power of Attorney through mail. Deponent of the power of attorney has to be physically present at the Consular office of the Embassy of Pakistan along with his/her original valid passport/NICOP. Applicant would be required to sign the document in the presence of the consular officer. Please ensure that you have the following documents with you before approaching the consular section of the Embassy.
Pakistani or Dual Nationals in possession of valid Pakistani Passport or NADRA Cards (CNIC, NICOP, POC)
- Original power of attorney.
- Deponent's original valid Pakistani Passport/NICOP and copies of Passport and NICOP.
- Copy of CNIC/NICOP/POC of the person (Attorney) to whom the Power of Attorney is being given.
- Power of Attorney by a minor would only be attested on production of a guardianship certificate issued by a Court.
- Two recent passport size photographs affixed on Power of Attorney next to place of signature.
- Processing fee in money order $8.00
US Nationals of Pakistan Origin currently NOT in possession of valid Pakistani Passport or NADRA Cards (CNIC, NICOP, POC)
- Persons holding US passports but not in possession of valid Pakistani Passport or NADRA Cards (CNIC, NICOP, POC) are required to attest their documents first by the legalization department of the State Department in Washington DC.
- Personal appearance along with original and copies of US IDs (Passport or Driving License) are mandatory
- A complete set of photocopies of all the documents being submitted for attestation/legalization is required.
- Processing fee in money order $8.00
Attestation of Driving License
In case of driving license, Embassy would attest the letter, issued by the driving license issuing authority, conforming the particulars of the holder of driving license. The letter should first be attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Islamabad or its Camp offices in the provincial Capitals.
Important note: On required photocopies
- Please read the requirements for photocopies for each type of application and bring/send the required number of copies with the application.
- For the convenience of the applicants, a copier machine at the Consular Section is available, which takes either 25 cents (quarters) coins or one dollar bills only.
Not applicable to Power of Attorney
Note (i) Express Mail : If application is submitted through mail, a self addressed prepaid express USPS envelope is mandatory. The applicant should write their return address clearly to avoid confusion. Current cost for the prepaid express envelope is $24.70. Do not use Metered stamps. Click here for US Postal Services. Embassy will not be responsible for loss of documents in the mail.
Note (ii) : All fees are payable in US postal money orders or cashier cheques made payable to the Embassy of Pakistan. Please do not send cash or personal cheques. Please make sure to include your name and address on money orders or cashier cheques. All fees are non- refundable.