Prime Minister of the Islamic Republic Of Pakistan
Chairman of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI)
Mr. Imran Khan is the 22nd Prime Minister of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. He is also the current Chairman of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (Pakistan’s Movement for Justice). He holds the vision to transform Pakistan into a Welfare State, based on the principles of “Riyasat-e-Madina”.
- A graduate of Oxford University’s Keble College, Prime Minister Imran Khan champions rule of law, meritocracy, equality and combating corruption.
- He received early education from Aitchison College, Lahore where he was also part of the College’s cricket team. He continued with the passion for cricket while studying at the Oxford University and captained the University’s cricket team in 1974. Later on, he joined Pakistan’s National Cricket Team. At the height of his cricketing career, he took over the captaincy of the National Team in 1982 and led Pakistan to historic victory in 1992 Cricket World Cup. He also contributed to introduce neutral umpiring on ground which profoundly transformed the game of Cricket. He is considered one of the greatest all-rounders and captains in cricket history.
- Deeply affected by the cause of his mother’s death, he founded Shaukat Khanum Cancer Hospital in Lahore in 1994 – the country’s state of the art facility for poorest citizens. Since then, he has opened two new such facilities in Peshawar and Karachi. Today, the Hospital treats 70 percent of its patients free of cost. It is Pakistan’s greatest charitable institution apart from being Centre of Excellence.
- In 2008, he established Namal College in the remote district of Mianwali to impart quality education to the most deserving. With the Institute at its center, Prime Minister espouses to make Namal Knowledge City as Pakistan’s largest University town..
- It was Imran Khan’s foray into philanthropy and his interaction with the common people that led him to join politics. He founded Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (Pakistan’s Justice Movement) in 1996. He won election to become a Member of the National Assembly of Pakistan from 2002 to 2007, and again from 2013 to 2018. In 2018 General Elections, he contested from five constituencies and won from all. No politician in country’s history has ever won 5 seats and a seat from three out of four Provinces of Pakistan. With PTI securing the majority in the National Assembly, he formed his Government on 18 August 2018.
- .His political struggle, spanning over 22 years, revolves around equality, justice and compassion. Prime Minister Imran Khan holds the vision to transform Pakistan into a Welfare State, based on the principles of “Riyasat-e-Madina”. With a people-centric approach, he has launched Ehsaas (Compassion) programme to uplift poor segments of the society in Pakistan.
- Prime Minister Imran Khan is an accomplished author. He has written several books including Pakistan: A Personal History that encompasses tales of the events from his cricketing profession to political career.